Monday, April 07, 2014

Bait balls

As an enthusiastic and attentive viewer of Mr Attenborough’s wildlife programmes, I am thoroughly acquainted with the distinctive - and highly photogenic - behaviour adopted by certain species of animals, when under threat from predators.

Whether by flocking (birds), swarming  (insects) or by adopting the mesmerising form known as a ‘bait ball’ (the undoubted favourite of our finny cousins) the basic strategy appears to be the same: namely to present the predator - be it a hawk, bat or seal - with such an intoxicating abundance of options that, out of pure indecision, it ends up empty-handed.

It has been much the same way with this blog.

The reason the last post on here was dated over a year ago is that - far from having nothing to write about - it has been a case of there being too much. Like a leopard seal attacking a flock of penguins, I have found myself unable to select a single topic from amongst the myriad that presented themselves.

Anyway it’s high time I got over it. There’s been a head of stuff building up for some time now and I don’t believe I can hold it back for much longer.

For those who’d prefer to be spared the forthcoming deluge there are two options:

either

1) you can email me and ask me to remove you from the mailing list

or

2) you can set up a rule to redirect mails whose subject contains the word ‘Omnivorist’ directly to your trash can (This is by far the most sensitive and considerate approach)

To everyone else: thank you for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:03 am

    I'm going to be uncompromisingly rude. This "first" blog post was unneccessary and boring. Who cares why you did not post? Especially since your action packed life is only hinted at. - Owen Ransen.

    (I've signed here because I don't want google etc tracking absolutely every fucking thing I do)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:21 pm

    who is this tw*t and what is he doing awake at 6.03 in the morning?

    ReplyDelete